Thursday, October 8, 2009

Prison...

I do not know what my weird obsession with prison's are but I am so intrigued by them I can not get enough info on them and learning about them sparks some crazy interest in me. I just might decide to go back to school and get my foot in the door of a real jail/prison one day! I have so many strong feelings about these places and people in them I truly feel like this is my place in the world I could make a difference. Sari and I took a day trip to Boise and while we were there we toured the old Idaho State Penitentiary... awesome it was!!



This is the "drop room" literally! Only 1 man was executed here because they hung him moved the floor from under his feet and it didn't snap his neck and kill him instantly as planned instead he strangled for 20 minutes before he was pronounced dead. Its said he haunts the place because of that and not getting a chance to collect his thoughts for his final words and it does have a creepy feeling in there... why I love this? I am really not sure.

This is probably the prettiest part of the old penitentiary the "rose garden" it's where prisoners were hung in the old days but then too many people were climbing the hill behind it and watching so they moved it inside. Clever!

Outside view. These sidewalks only the guards were allowed to walk on. And the buildings you see off to the side is all the old housing.


Me being locked up! We literally had to pull that thing shut and I was a little afraid it wasn't going to open back up. I was trying to hard not to smile!!
These are all tiny rooms four stories high at one time full of prisoner's!

This was seriously one little shower for heaven knows how many guys to share. And that's me washing my hair :)

After a riot in the Dining Hall prisoners burnt it down to this, I love how its as is!

More cells! This one was for the minimum security I believe because it was a lot less freaky. There was even a "barber cell" for when you went to get a haircut!

I have a ton of pictures and these were just a few I decided to give you all a sneak peek of it was such a fun little trip for Sari & I and so interesting. I even learned a thing or two. Like...

-the difference between jail and prison.

-Idaho still believes in the death penalty and there are 20 people (including 1 woman) on death row RIGHT NOW!

-the place is pretty much inhumane

-I am still convinced there are good people locked up. Did anyone hear about the man who was behind bars for 18 years and on death row that just got released for being wrongfully convicted? He is now suing the State of Idaho for I believe $5 million!

No comments:

Post a Comment