Sunday, May 25, 2014

Men are shallow...

Men are jerks. I debated on the title of this post for a good 5 minutes before I went with my gut. It's true men are shallow- not all I know, I know I shouldn't generalize like that but I have proof behind my reasoning 2 examples:

HUSBAND STOP READING NOW-

#1: Mr. Judy. Let me take you back 7 years. This handsome guy came into get a haircut. He is completely "my type." Ya know. Tall, handsome, country boy, ranch hand, gun shootin wrangler wearing, pick up truck drivin, 10 year older beauty. Now I don't remember exactly flirting with him at the time but I'm nearly certain I did because not only was he eye candy I had gone as far to know he was single, no kids, blah blah. What I do remember is the "I'm not giving you the time of day" conversation we had and quite frankly he never seemed that attractive since.
Rewind to present day: Mr. Judy comes in to get a haircut as he's been doing every 2-4 weeks the last several years and what do you know I'm cutting his hair. I remember thinking he was quiet, but not in a shy type of way just the hurrier kind. He asked me if I'd been cutting hair long (and stated he hadn't seen me in the salon before), if I was from the area, what I liked to do for fun,  just very friendly. When he mentioned he was from Ririe I threw in the husband word as they had something in common, followed quickly behind the 2 year old daughter. What happen next floored me. Mr. Judy very openly 'hit on me' for lack of better words. This is the same guy years earlier I'm certain I basically threw myself at and he didn't even know I existed all these countless times. Everything that he mentioned was "attractive" has not changed with the 45 pound weight loss ei: my eyes, my love for the outdoors, the country girl I was raised as, the farm talk I knew.

#2: Meet Jared- he gets his haircut at least every 2 weeks. He's divorced and has a few kids. Jared is very particular about his hair and a few of us girls know just how to cut it without him having to explain each time those areas. If I am working when he comes in he would typically wait for me, unless another one of his favorites was ready first but he wasn't the type to wait for too long if someone else was available. On this particular day Jared waited while I cut 2 other customers hair and a few stylists were standing around waiting do cut hair- 1 of those stylists being one of his "go to girls." This was odd, and very unlike Jared. Our convo was different during his haircut this day. He told me 3 times- three freaking times "you look nice today." 2 of those times he asked if he had mentioned how nice I looked. I have seen Jared out and about numerous times over the years and it was always a very casual "hi, how are you?" He knows I'm married, he knows about my daughter and although he is very handsome (side note: I don't think every guy is beautiful the two above just happen to be!) he still found it necessary to ask if I would be anywhere the following weekend alone.

HUSBAND MAY START READING AGAIN NOW-

WOWZA! Men ARE shallow!
My point being. I am still the same person on the inside no matter my weight. I wish I could say I like the extra attention and randomly being checked out but I don't. I don't because I am pretty sure these are the same guys just 6 months ago wouldn't have taken a second glance. I've thought maybe I hold myself different so people treat me different (confidence topic to follow soon) but I don't believe that is the case. I admire people who treat me the same today as they did a year ago.

I admire that in this crazy self conscious appearance world my husband was able to look past the extra pounds and love me for the person I was on the inside. Do you know David never mentioned my weight, and after I had Afton and gained 20 pounds I asked him if he would tell me if I wasn't attractive because of it and his reply went something like "you're beautiful but if you get much over 200 pounds I might buy you a gym membership" He laughed and we joked about it, but as the scale was creeping closer to that number the comment rang louder inside my head. A lot of people ask what David says or thinks about me now and the truth is he doesn't say much. He definitely comments more on the self discipline and desire I have to get up early and exercise more then the actual weigh loss. He looks at me the same way. He loves me just the same, although he likes to give me crap and tease "just because you weigh 135 pounds doesn't mean you can't... or you should..." David knows I don't need the constant praise. He knew when I first started a few simple words was enough and it didn't have to be dwelled upon. I love that he knows me well enough to look past the surface, saving me from loosing weight for all the wrong reasons and ending up with a Mr. Judy or Jared.

No comments:

Post a Comment